Monday, November 16, 2009

Stu Rea: Coach/Director Spotlight

Stu Rea is a Director and Coach for Team Utah, and one of the founders of TUT.

In Stu's own words:
My name is Stu Rea, and I have been snowboarding for 19 years. Yeah, i am old! I was born in Great Britain, but emigrated to new Zealand in the early nineties, then to the US in 2001. I have experienced snowboarding in the USA, France, Italy, Austria, Spain, japan, Canada, and New Zealand. I am qualified snowboard pro in Europe, New Zealand and USA . I have been consistently working back to back seasons since 1995 from the USA/Europe and NZ.

I started my professional sporting career not in snowboarding but in other contact sports, namely martial arts and boxing, from the age of 9. I represented my country many times including 3 world championships, gaining 3 bronze medals, and also was European champion during my 10 year career. I stopped competing due to an eye injury, so i decided to make my other passion of snowboarding my next career.Initially I raced in Boardercross and Slalom, but I liked the baggy clothes the freestyle crew wore so i decided to get my jib on. I thought i had finished getting my ass kicked... if only i knew that would not be case.

I have been a Qualified Snowboard Professional since 1993, working for various ski schools/teams and specialized winter sports organizations. I have taught and coached all levels of ability and age groups in various countries.

I have worked for many great mountains in the USA, Mammoth, Northstar, and Park City to name a few. When i worked in NZ, I directed the snowboard schools at Coronet Peak and The Remarkables, in addition to the NZ snowboard instructors training division and several other instructor training agencies. I am currently working at Park City Mountain Resort where I act as their Technical Director,as well as also the Head examiner and Demo team Coach for the AASI-Western Division. When not going back to NZ I work with athletes at the Olympic water Park and up at Mount Hood.

I am qualified for the USSA/USASA as a level 300 coach. I have coached my athletes at many events including Grand Prixes, PBRJs, USASA nationals, US Opens, and Burton Am Series competition. I am also the USSA/USASA Coaches Representative for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. I have qualifications in Mountain Environmental Safety and am First Aid certified. I have Stage 1 Professional Avalanche Safety Management qualifications approved by the NZ Mountain Safety Council (backcountry guide association). I am a Certified Snowboard Coach/Judge, and I amcurrently fully qualified within various Snowboard organizations in several countries, both in the training, coaching and officiating sides of our industry.

I have achived a technical engineering degree in mechanical engineering, i love motocross,and can be found trying to emulate Travis Pastrana (unsuccessfully) during my summer down time.

My snowboard widows “wife” name is Megan and i have a 1 year old named Liam, he has his board already, and he has his minishred gear ready to go.

I am so stoked to be able to work with some of the best snowboard professional in the industry, and i want to thank them all for their hard work and commitment to Team Utah

At TUT we feel that snowboarding can be more than just competition. It's a way of life, and our goal is to produce life long memories for all involved.

See you out there!

Stu


To ride with Team Utah:
email admin@teamutah.org
or call 801-573-7348

No comments:

Post a Comment